Leighton Interactive (St. Cloud, MN and Green Bay, WI) is seeking an Art Director to work semi-remotely via its St. Cloud office. Bring design, editorial, and interactive media to life with innovative and actionable concepts that drive client success. The ideal candidate is a highly conceptual thinker, storyteller, and coach with a passion for design and craft.
The Art Director will lead a team of creatives to solve complex problems creatively and collaboratively through a variety of media (digital, social, print, and experiential). This individual has a proven track record and portfolio to demonstrate success in all aspects of the creative process including strategy, design execution, communication, collaboration, attention to detail, and project follow-through.
This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Vice President.
- Lead a team of creatives (responsible for graphic design, photography, and video) to develop creative concepts and assets (digital, print, design, copy, and social) that drive client success.
- Align internal and external creative talent to leverage and maximize skillsets, innovation, and workflow.
- Execute hands-on design for high-profile clients and projects.
- Lead the creative team with inspiration, mentorship, and accountability. Responsible for training, development, and assignment of work.
- Champion creative workflow, process improvement, capacity planning, and on-time delivery and quality of work.
- Develop and lead creative strategy from concept to execution. Translate brand concepts and vision into functional creative that drives actionable initiatives and business goals.
- Create the brand positioning framework using persona-centric data and work with the team to bring that to life in all aspects of inbound marketing strategies.
- Partner with account managers, web developers, sales, production staff, and leadership to ensure the creative fulfills company and client goals.
- Represent the creative team in client meetings; articulate concepts, insights, and desired outcomes.
- Ensure creative staff realize their capacity, with projects scheduled, assigned, and delivered on time with creativity, accuracy, and precision.
- Continuously review effectiveness and impact of creative through quantitative and qualitative assessment.
- Connect with influencers and industry experts to fuel growth for self, team members, the organization, and clients.
- Oversee brand standards and identity for Leighton Interactive.
Competencies and attributes
The Art Director at Leighton Interactive is:
- Passionate and persuasive in expanding the creative thinking of team members and clients. Confidently makes decisions to move people and projects forward.
- A seasoned creative with an eye for design and detail, understanding the translation of design across various media.
- Particularly adept, familiar, and experienced with website and email design, and content creation for social media. Versed in experiential marketing, and capable with traditional brand identity and print campaigns.
- Able to showcase creative vision, ideas, and stories with a variety of mediums, including sketches, artful descriptions, mockups.
- A charismatic storyteller who is curious and passionate about the craft and can articulate a creative vision and win over team members and clients.
- Skilled in handling criticism and models constructive feedback, facilitation, and negotiation for peers and staff.
- An attentive listener and a confident and generous leader who can develop and guide a creative vision for clients representing a multitude of industries.
- Self-guided and energized by a fast-paced environment and able to organize, multitask, and prioritize.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree (preferably in design, marketing, advertising, or related fields).
- Minimum of 4-7 years experience, as a Senior Designer, Associate AD, Art Director, or similar role in an agency or in-house creative team, with an award-winning design portfolio.
- Experience in digital and print design.
- Expert understanding of creative technologies, including Adobe Creative Suite, and exposure to and knowledge of multiple web platforms.
- Entrepreneurial and driven by a vision to build and lead a creative team.
- Experience presenting ideas to clients; able to connect creative to strategy and client outcomes.
- Evidence of relationship management with team members, clients, and business partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable and engaging presenter of ideas; experience communicating, and working with cross-functional teams.
A day-in-the-life of Art Director at Leighton Interactive
- Review and approve creative concepts with team members.
- Day-to-day direction and guidance to creative team members (teaching and advocating).
- Provide high-end design for heavy-hitter clients/projects.
- Attend project kickoff meetings as needed.
- Quality control for creative team (refine and build this process); accuracy and consistency across all platforms.
- Mentor team members on creative best practices and innovations.
- Oversee capacity and scheduling of creative team.
- Work with Creative Services Manager to ensure creative is functional and converts to client goals.
- Pitch creative in client meetings as needed.
- Manage the Leighton Interactive brand, styleguide, and creative assets.
- Engage external resources and partners as needed.
- Build templates for creative assets as needed.
Full-time employees at Leighton Interactive are eligible for a benefits package that includes health insurance, 401(k), ESOP, and paid time off. Flexible work schedule, with opportunity to explore Work From Home options after first 90 days.
Here’s our list of core values and how team members embody each
- Stay sharp. At Leighton Interactive, we’re constantly striving to be better and do better — for our clients and ourselves. We are curious and engaged, and we thrive on learning and trying new things. We stay on top of our game in order to help our clients achieve the same.
- Serve others. Team is more than a noun at Leighton Interactive; it’s also a verb. We believe our best work is only possible when we help each other. We take issues to the source and value honesty, respect, and the dignity of each other. Our business is built on solid relationships with others, and that starts within the very walls of our agency.
- Give a damn. We’re not a ho-hum group at Leighton Interactive; in fact, you’ve never seen a less ho-hum group! We’re a bunch of go-getters who are not only super-charged by caffeine but by our work (insert fist-pumping). We take initiative like we take responsibility — with the spirit of teamwork and a whole lot of hustle.
- Make it fun. We embrace our fun-loving, high-spirited vibe at Leighton Interactive, and we take great care to fill our days with laughter, practical jokes, and surprises. After all, the family that laughs together, creates award-winning, results-driven work for their clients together.
- Be humbly confident. We value individual passion, motivation, and drive. In fact, we believe it fuels good work. But what fuels our greatest work? When good-natured, authentic, caring individuals connect as a team. That’s combustible.
How to apply
Submit your application to our search manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Title the email “Art Director, Leighton Interactive > Your Name.” Include your portfolio link, resume, cover letter*, social media accounts, and contact info for 3-5 references. Please include salary expectations in your email message, knowing $70-80K is the anticipated compensation for this position.
*In your letter, 1) briefly address how your experience reflects the criteria in the job description, 2) mention one thing that specifically interests you about this leadership role, and 3) tell us where your career is headed.