Posted: November 17, 2018
Employer: Slumberland, St. Paul
Recruiter: Soladay Olson | Marketing for Creatives
Primary Objectives and Scope
Develop consistent and unified creative assets to express the Slumberland brand across print marketing tactics, relative to the company’s directional messages: Personal Connection; Visual, Event; Price/Value; Selection; Convenience.
Consistent brand expression is facilitated by the Art Director’s completion and publication of production guides for use by third parties who produce print advertising on behalf of Slumberland Inc. and/or its franchise operators.
Work output also includes design and sharing of weekly print advertising (“pre-print”) templates, in-store point-of-purchase sign templates, direct mail templates, and other print marketing tactics as needed to support the goals of the company.
Occasional design assignments for other internal functional teams (e.g. Associate handbook page templates for Human Resources) are expected.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
No direct reports. Directs the execution of third party agencies and other suppliers to ensure consistent execution, particularly in the print marketing space. Starting with a featured product from Buyers, designs a full room set, choosing complimentary product, room layout and elements, lighting, and feel of shot. Directs stylist and photographer to meet established brand standards and achieve desired results. Provides occasional advice, feedback, and approvals to franchise operators for locally produced print creative, in accordance with brand standards.
- No direct reports. See above: Provides guidance and approvals to third parties, franchise operators, and corporate office staff as required for use and application of brand-relevant creative assets as used in the print medium.
Communication and Leadership
- Shares updates to corporate office staff, corporate store management, franchise operators, and third party agencies/suppliers about new or updated production guidelines, newly available creative assets, and changes to Slumberland’s creative print assets (ad page templates, direct mail templates, POP templates, etc.)
- Shares learning with company leadership, direct manager, marketing team, other functional teams, and third party agency/suppliers about new trends and directions in creative print execution.
- Uses and supports the operating excellence tools: work structure, tactical plans, L3 directional A3, and problem-solving documents.
- Collaborates with the photo studio team on delivering product photos to established brand standards.
- Participates in appropriate meetings.
- Collaborates with all necessary individuals and teams to complete tasks and facilitate improvement projects.
Measurements and Reporting
- Creates monthly Key Result Areas report.
- Maintains a safe and insurable driving record that allows for driving of personal vehicle to conduct company business.
Knowledge and Education Requirements
Bachelor’s degree or vocational diploma in graphic design. Minimum 5 years creative design experience, including high-level graphic design, plus print advertising creative development and implementation. Demonstrated experience in email and website design and production also needed. Affinity for and interest in interior design will be a competitive edge. Portfolio of relevant project work required. Prior experience as a Production Artist in a fast-paced advertising production environment is a plus.
About the Company
Founded in 1967 in Richfield, MN, Slumberland began as a mattress and La-Z-Boy specialty shop whose mission has been to make people comfortable with both its products and prices. Over the past 50+ years, Slumberland has expanded to more than 125 stores in 12 states in the Midwest. The company remains steadfast in its commitment to provide quality, stylish furniture that is easy to love, easy to maintain, and easy on the pocketbook. The family-owned business has a deep commitment to community service, and dedicates a percentage of its profits to charitable giving every year.
How to Apply
Send a pdf including your letter of interest with salary requirement, your resume, and your portfolio link that includes design and production examples of print, web, and email to our search manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.