Position Objective and Scope
As the Creative Lead on the marketing team of this growing, familiar brand, you will ensure complete, consistent, and unified execution of branded marketing tactics. In this dual role of hands-on designer and creative department leader, you’ll bring positioning to life across all marketing elements, plus create and lead content development where needed throughout the ecosystem.
The Creative Lead will develop, manage, and help execute (with marketing VP) the content strategy. Develop (with direct reports) the master style guide and all event, advertising campaign, and environmental execution standards for use in digital and print marketing tools by employees/franchisees. Help refresh the brand through public and internal channels.
This is a working manager position, so excellent current design skills are required. The role will plan, create, and do. We’re looking for a left-right brain mix of vision/imagination/content creation with the ability to execute (and manage execution) with excellence. The Creative Lead will see problems and fix them.
This new team, which is growing a 50-year-old brand, is a combination of permanent and freelance employees that will report to the Creative Lead, and Creative Lead reports to the Vice President of Marketing.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
- Strategy: Under supervision of the VP Marketing, develop all master- and event-level style guides and message positioning to suit all channels of creative expression.
- Planning: Apply brand strategies to develop relevant stories and visual standards for all marketing vehicles.
- Oversee maintenance and publication of weekly and monthly content and creative production calendars for use by internal staff and appropriate suppliers.
- Participate actively in annual, quarterly, monthly, and weekly marketing planning to ensure creative consistency to all delivery vehicles.
- Create themed catalogs with photo concepting and styling.
- Elevate the look and feel of our company website, making it our flagship store and a state-of-the-art user-friendly research tool for our customers and stores. Anticipate continuous refresh of content.
- Work with others as a champion of brand compliance and consistency.
- Supervise Art Managers to ensure application of brand standards in all creative work (style guides, templates, and finished delivery vehicles).
- Manage the performance of all direct reports, contract workers, and external partners to ensure timely execution of conceptual creative activities and vehicular production.
- Creative team: Develop and manage 6-10 direct reports. Conduct annual reviews of performance.
- Supplier relationships: Provide overall performance evaluation of creative and production agencies via quarterly scorecard review.
- Present new creative concepts and vehicles to all levels of the organization.
- Share learning with company leadership, direct manager, marketing team, other functional teams, and third-party agency/suppliers about new trends and directions in creative and visual brand execution.
- Use and support the operating excellence tools: strategy A3’s, work structure, tactical plans, meeting compass, and problem-solving documents.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with office and store employees, and the franchise group.
- Collaborate with all necessary individuals and teams to complete tasks and facilitate improvement projects.
- Participate in and lead defined meetings.
- Ensure successful vendor relationships through a defined meeting cadence and supplier scorecard.
- Create monthly Key Result Areas report.
- Review and check direct reports’ key result areas. Be a resource to direct and align measurements through each level of the team.
- Financial management: Oversee portions of the creative budget.
Safety and Non-Essential Functions
- Adhere to safety policies and practices and consistently model safe behaviors and risk reduction procedures.
Physical Demands/Work Environment/Equipment
- Able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Utilize senses such as vision, speech, and hearing.
- Work in a hybrid onsite/remote manner during pandemic: 2-3 days in a climatically controlled office, remainder in your home environment.
- Travel to local photo studio and Midwest store locations may be required.
Knowledge and Education Requirement
Bachelor’s degree in related field and minimum of eight years related experience; or equivalent combination of training, education, and practical experience.
Communication: Effectively present ideas and information to a wide range of audiences in written and verbal formats, to influence and advance decisions and organizational objectives.
Individual Characteristics: Lead with honesty and integrity. Treat others with love, dignity, and respect. Demonstrate personal excellence, responsiveness, and ability to meet the demand of retail activity.
Judgment/Discernment: Able to assess situations and use discretion to resolve while protecting brand and minimizing risk.
Leadership: Use strategic planning to balance daily work pace, improvement initiatives, and zeal for growth. Teach and model.
Organizational: Make practice of first-time quality, elimination of waste, lean concepts, community involvement, profitability, and project management.
Team Building: Employ collaboration, a focus on plan, work standardization, metrics for decisions, and benchmarking.
How to Apply
Submit your application to our search manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Title the email “Creative Lead > Your Name.” Include your portfolio link, resume, cover letter, social media accounts, and contact info for 3-5 references. Please include salary expectations in your email message.
In your letter, very briefly …
- Address three criteria in the job description for which you qualify.
- Mention one thing that specifically interests you about this dual leadership role, and one that would stretch you.
- Name a brand you’ve helped turn around that you’ll share if we meet.
- Bonus points: Let us know if you have experience concepting storyboards and/or directing TV spots.
If selected to pursue this role with us, you will be informed about the employer and can anticipate a couple of virtual and in-person conversations and one or more creative assignments (for which you will be compensated) that will allow employer and candidate to explore working together before committing.
We look forward to receiving your application!