This is an opportunity for a Designer to do award-winning work for a great cause – ridding the world of single-use plastic.
HiBAR is looking for a talented Designer/Visual Communications Creator to help our growing marketing team step up our creative output across all our communication channels: social media, website, email, video, packaging, point of sale, brochures, etc. An ideal candidate is somebody who has experience in design, but with an interest in developing skills in photography and video.
This role will report to our Co-Founder/SVP of Marketing and collaborate with our Community and Marketing Manager. Anticipate twice weekly team meetings and quarterly all-staff gatherings.
While based in Saint Paul, MN (both our business office and factory), we are temporarily working from home during the pandemic. Local candidates required. Software and hardware provided.
Problems You’ll Solve
- How do we represent our brand in surprising, compelling, and beautiful ways across all of our channels and formats (social, email, website, point of sale, etc.)?
- How do we ensure our brand aesthetic is consistent and engaging (e.g., for promotions, product launches)?
- How do we launch and sustain a successful video content stream, for our website and for social channels (e.g. Let’s add TikTok)?
- How can creativity give our retail sales team an extra edge?
Is This You?
- 2+ years of experience in creative field, with focus on design (in-house or agency)
- Familiarity with social media
- Ability to execute as a designer and image maker
- Intermediate to advanced experience with graphic design, illustration, photography, Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work well with people across teams
- Leverage other people’s opinions and concepts in an efficient design process
- Interest in sustainability, environment, personal care
- Gets things done without perfect resources; innovator who works with a sense of urgency. (We are growing fast from a small base.)
- Someone who has high standards, takes ownership, and is invested in the outcome
- Someone who proactively helps others, stays positive, and has a good sense of humor
- Okay at working with ambiguity. We don’t have everything figured out. You need to be okay with that and willing to make us better.
Why We Exist and What We Do
HiBAR is inspiring people to remove single-use plastic from their everyday lives. We do that by redesigning commonly used products from the ground up to be beautiful, functional, enjoyable, and 100% plastic-free.
We launched in late 2018 and are already in over 4,000 stores across the country. The world needs one or two brands that can popularize the idea and practice of being plastic-free, and we intend to be one of them.
We love what we do, we love the people we work with, and we open our arms and our hearts to all who have something powerful to contribute to our cause.
It is the policy of HiBAR to afford Equal Employment Opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including hiring, training, promotions, transfers, rates of pay, layoff, and other forms of compensation. We aim to create an inclusive and respectful workplace.
How to Apply
First, indicate your intent to apply to our retained search manager: email@example.com. Please email your portfolio link or PDF samples*, cover letter**, resume, and salary requirement with the subject line “Your Name, Designer > HiBAR.”
*For portfolio samples, we’d like to see your favorite examples of your successful social media campaigns, web content creation, email marketing, packaging, point of sale/signage, print collateral — and if you’ve dabbled in it, photography, film/video, and animation.
**In your brief cover letter addressed to Dion Hughes, answer one or more of these…
- Talk about an example of your being a self-starter and/or DIYer.
- Describe sources of inspiration and mentorship that have guided your career to date.
- In which fine art, crafting, or sustainability endeavors do you participate outside of design?
Our search manager will inform you if you’ve been selected to interview, and will outline the steps thereafter. The process typically involves a first virtual or in-person meeting with the SVP of Marketing and/or HR Consultant, and next with collaborators, possibly concluding with a short-term paid assignment.
We look forward to hearing from you!