Who we are
We help companies design and build world-class digital products that command attention and inspire joy. We’ve partnered with household name companies to create experiences that have reached millions of people, and we’ve helped startups build entirely new businesses that challenge their industries’ status quo.
We’re looking for a high-performing Director of Design to join our team.
Who you are
You’re a leader. You thrive in a position that requires you to flex your creative muscles while exhibiting a soft touch for the intricacies of client services work. You have built a career on distilling variable, complex, and sometimes conflicting inputs into digital product strategy and design that drives meaningful business results for clients. You are one part visionary and storyteller and another part detail-oriented stickler, holding the bar high for yourself and others. You are eager and excited to collaboratively establish the future of design with us and support each individual on the design team. Above all, you elevate your teammates and you care deeply about shipping remarkable digital products.
Why you should apply
- You want to work on products and accounts that have outsized impact and reach—and most importantly—have meaningful business impact for our client partners.
- You believe in sweating the details, giving a damn about quality, and taking pride in going the extra mile.
- You are inspired by creating emotionally engaging and visually arresting digital products that are used by millions of people on a daily basis.
- You want to work with and lead passionate and talented people who are always looking for ways to make things better.
- You put equal importance on the responsibility of personally creating incredible product designs and empowering the team to do the same.
- You desire, and strive to foster, a work environment where respect, mutual trust, and egoless collaboration are paramount.
- You want colleagues who take their work seriously but not themselves, and who know how to let loose and have a good time.
- You like being part of and building a team that has a reputation for excellence and gives back to the community by educating, mentoring, and sponsoring.
What you bring to the table
- At least 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a professional services context in a leadership role.
- An insatiable and relentless drive for always pushing things forward and producing great work.
- A demonstrated history in empowering, supporting, and lifting up a design team to do the best work of their lives.
- Excellent communication skills and a strong ability to present and defend creative choices persuasively at varying levels of resolution—internally and externally.
- Comfort and confidence in working with executives (VP, SVP, and C-suite in large organizations), acting as counsel to start from zero and guide them through a process. You will articulate and actualize a coherent vision, a strategy and process for design, and ultimately a successful engagement that leaves them wanting more.
- A highly polished portfolio showcasing exemplary visual design chops and product sensibilities.
- An indisputable mastery of current UI/UX best practices (and keen ability to maintain said mastery), as well as modern design tools like Sketch, Figma, Invision, etc.
- Extensive experience designing consumer-facing native applications for iOS and/or Android and a fluent command of each platform’s native design guidelines.
- Deep experience conducting consumer research ranging from qualitative data analysis to hands-on usability testing.
- Rigid discipline and personal organization skills.
- Obvious comfort with providing and receiving critique in the context of an iterative design process.
- Experience leading, managing, and/or mentoring other designers.
- A demonstrated hunger for personal and professional growth, for yourself and the design team members—a true player coach.
- A self-evident love and care for the craft of digital product design.
What to expect / How to apply
First, indicate your intent to apply to our retained search manager: email@example.com. The employer’s identity will be confidentially revealed so that you can do appropriate research and address us accordingly.
Next include a short note about yourself (tell us whose work inspires you!), a summary of your work experience, your salary expectation, and a link to your portfolio. (Please note that submissions without a portfolio will not be considered.) Label your email to Soladay Olson: “Your Name, Director of Design.”
Our hiring process moves quickly and consists of several stages for candidates who capture our attention with their initial submission, sometimes including but not limited to a short preliminary phone interview, a series of video or in-person interviews, and a short take-home exercise, which you’ll have up to a week to complete.
We go out of our way to evaluate all employees and job applicants equitably based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds and identities to apply and we consider every applicant with an open mind.
You will be contacted by Soladay Olson initially, then for a virtual first interview if we are interested.
We look forward to hearing from you!