Posted: December 14, 2018
Employer: Split Rock Studios, St. Paul
Recruiter: Soladay Olson | Marketing for Creatives
Split Rock Studios is seeking full-time Exhibit Builders to join our fabrication services team. Share your practiced know-how, exceptional craft, and love of building exhibits with us!
In a timely manner, build and install museum exhibits — including, but not limited to kiosks, cabinets, dioramas, graphic panels, and facades — using power equipment, pneumatic nail/staple guns, and hand tools.
Create high quality museum interior and exterior exhibits for our clients.
Areas of Responsibility and Specifics
- Building measurements
- Use building blueprints to accurately measure building as built.
- Note any building characteristics needed to make accurate CADD drawings.
- Note any building characteristics that limit the size of our components.
- Inquire if there will be any other modifications to the building that may interfere with our components.
- Take photos of entire site and label them on the floor plan.
- Read thoroughly.
- Make sure to have all parts necessary before beginning construction.
- After assembly, redline prints and return to CADD person who drew them.
- Machinery used in a safe and effective manner.
- Table saw
- Rolling bed table saw
- Miter box
- Band saw
- Horizontal metal cutting band saw
- Drill press
- Pocket hole machine
- Hinge machine
- Pinch roller
- Power hand tools
- Separate all CNC parts for assembly.
- Cut all in house parts.
- Use nail/staple guns and screw guns to assemble parts.
- Make certain all components are installable.
- Add laminates, veneers, and prepare for paint.
- After paint, add any interactive components, overlays, etc.
- Wrapping and Shipping
- Wrap components in foam for protection and to keep them clean.
- Label with job name and number and component name and number.
- Stage in shipping area.
- Load truck or assist with loading tractor-trailer loads.
- Travel by car, truck, or plane.
- Lay down poly sheeting to protect floors.
- Take directions from Lead builder on site.
- Unload truck.
- Assist with mural installation when necessary.
- Work on ladders and lifts to install elevated exhibits, banners, etc.
- Permanently install exhibit components using hand and power tools.
- Work with client to eliminate any type of punch list items.
- Clean entire area completely.
Should be able to lift heavy components in a safe manner, and should know when to ask for assistance when loads are too heavy.
Builder is primarily on their feet all day or moving around the shop. Need to withstand long periods on your feet.
Be able to work overtime when needed, which could include weekends.
Travel when needed to measure buildings or install exhibits. There may be extended stays that could last up to two weeks. Installation days can last 12 hours. Typically, travel is communicated three weeks prior.
Builder will need to take directions well to finish tasks on their own.
Communicate well with clients and other tradespeople to complete installation of components.
Experience in Building Exhibits
Ideal candidates have worked in a museum or educational institution, with an exhibit fabricator like Split Rock Studios, or for a trade show or custom woodworking shop.
About the Company
Split Rock Studios specializes in creating natural and cultural history exhibits for museums, interpretive centers, aquariums, zoos, and political institutions. From coast to coast, our team of museum experts brings stories to life. Our clients trust and enjoy our design process because it’s collaborative, creative, and organized. From exhibit designers and project managers in our front office to artists and woodworkers in our shop, Split Rock Studios brings together the full range of museum exhibit design and fabrication services under one roof.
Of special note: Split Rock Studios is now an employee-owned business known as an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan).
How to Apply
Send a pdf including your letter of interest and preferred hourly rate, your resume, and your portfolio of completed work to email@example.com. Ability to demonstrate experience with mechanical interactives will give you a leg up!