New Lab is seeking a Junior Designer to join our agile team and flex your skills in creative problem-solving. As part of The Creative Partners Group (The CPG), a retail solutions firm, the New Lab Junior Designer will be tasked with supporting an extensive roster of brands from brand new start-ups to Fortune 500 companies. New Lab is the creative and strategy arm of The CPG, a team of highly versatile creatives who love to be challenged both in design and in finding effective solutions.
An ideal candidate has 1-2 years of design experience (or a go-getter fresh out of school) with a strong and diverse portfolio of projects that might include ideation, graphic design, package design, shelf placement, animation, brand video, game design, and/or…show us how you think.
We want to work with…
- A sharply clever independent worker who can take a creative prompt and run with it.
- An active participant in conversations, with the courage to voice their opinion.
- An optimist (cynics also welcome), who is interested in the world of retail and the role brands play, taking delight in raising the bar for the rest of the industry.
- A team player, who is as comfortable brainstorming via Zoom as they are pitching an idea in an Executives meeting.
- A strategic thinker, with a (left) brain for complex systems and processes, able to communicate (right brain) big-picture concepts.
- A doer, with lightning fast detail-oriented execution.
- A collaborator, who is excited to learn and grow and is able to roll with the punches of robust creative critiques.
- Undergraduate degree, or Associates with experience, preferably in related field.
- Up to 3-4 years as a Graphic Designer, or equivalent role.
- Adobe Suite program proficiency
- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign (required)
- Adobe XD, Premiere, Audition, Lightroom (strongly preferred)
- Basic website or e-commerce platform experience (e.g. WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, Shopify, etc.)
- Understanding of both print and digital production processes
- Excellent time-management, organization, and written/verbal communication skills
- Project management inclinations and ability to meet deadlines
- Cultural competency and an inclusive approach to design and communication with clients
- Ability to work with heuristics, ergonomics, ADA compliance, and bilingualism (strongly preferred)
- Design-based education
- Past retail experience
- Video storyboarding, filming, editing, and publishing in Adobe Premiere and After Effects (strongly preferred)
- 3D rendering skills in SolidWorks, AutoCAD, SketchUp, etc. (strongly preferred)
- Bonus points for Maya 3D modeling experience
- Wireframing and app prototyping in InVision, etc.
- Extra cheers for web development aptitude
About New Lab
A division of The CPG and located in downtown Minneapolis, we design retail strategies and experiences that activate brands and engage customers. We question, disrupt, inspire, amplify, and push all things retail. We empower each other across our collective retail channels — data insights, sales, manufacturing, and service — to deliver comprehensive solutions. Learn more here.
The starting salary for this position is $45,000. We will furnish hardware and software for remote work until our anticipated return to the office in March 2021.
How to apply…
Submit your application to our search manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Title the email “Junior Designer > Your Name.” Include your portfolio link, resume, cover letter, social media accounts, and contact info for 3-5 references.
In your letter, very briefly …
- Address three criteria in the job description for which you qualify and can show examples or initiative.
- Mention one thing that specifically interests you about the retail/product aspect of this role, and one that would stretch you on the job.
- Share a bonus point, either one that we’ve highlighted or that you think we’ll be thrilled to discover about you.
The selection process will likely include these interactions:
- Video chat with supervisor
- Video chat or in-person interview with supervisor plus team, with presentation of portfolio and one key example. May include one other creative conversation with the team.
- Check-in with supervisor, then meeting with executive leader(s)
We look forward to receiving your application!