The Product and Packaging Engineer will be a new and essential contributor to the expansion and improvement of the madesmart® design and development processes. They consult with sales, operations, designers, and factory engineers to determine feasibility and costs of new concepts, ensuring the final product meets all requirements. They execute multiple projects to completion with full documentation, material specs, and finished product specs. And continuously improve the internal process by working with various teams to troubleshoot issues, maintain quality, and optimize material performance and efficiencies. The Product Engineer serves as subject matter expert for assigned products and their manufacturing methods.
- Consult with sales, operations, designers, and factory engineers to determine costs and feasibility of producing proposed products, ensuring the final product meets all requirements.
- Contribute to the expansion and improvement of the design and prototyping processes by researching new materials and manufacturing processes, etc.
- Execute multiple projects to completion with full documentation, material specs, and finished product specs using proper file naming conventions.
- Continuously improve the internal process by working with various teams to troubleshoot issues, maintain quality, and optimize material performance and efficiencies.
- Work closely with design and operations teams to take ideas from concept through to final production.
- Give input in early phases of quoting and concept development.
- Create functioning prototypes to test and evaluate concepts.
- Create final production drawings.
- Conduct quality checks on first article samples.
- Work with operations and factories to ensure specs are followed and parts are made to meet quality standards.
- Develop products that:
- are manufacturable.
- meet deadlines.
- meet product specs.
- meet target production costs.
- can be produced quickly and economically.
- Keep supplies stocked for 3d printer/prototyping, ensuring maintenance steps are completed and printers are kept in an operational condition.
- Work closely with sales and manufacturing partners to create in-store merchandising solutions.
- Create, quote, and test dielines for product, collaborating with product and graphics team on merchandising options and brand needs.
- Create and maintain processes that allow for accurate, fast quoting and information capture for In Store Merchandising projects.
- Collaborate with manufacturing partners and internal teams throughout development and testing to ensure projects meet structural, functional, and print quality needs.
- Research and implement new process improvements for the team.
Skills and Requirements
- Creative problem solver with deep spatial awareness
- Expert knowledge of SolidWorks for product design and development, and Artios CAD for packaging engineering
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at a fast pace
- Familiar with material properties, assembly techniques and mass production manufacturing methods, specifically plastics for injection molding
- Associates or Bachelors degree in Product Development, Industrial Design, Engineering, or related field
- 3-5 years of experience, preferably in consumer goods
- Injection molding and plastics knowledge and experience with POP corrugate preferred (at least at an introductory level)
- Flexible and highly collaborative, sharing ideas and taking feedback equally well in a fast-paced environment
- Creative and enthusiastic about your work and your team, using your technical know-how to elevate the group’s output
- Detail-focused, self-starter who can balance multiple high priority deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills — critical to superseding language barriers and manufacturing lingo
madesmart® is a women-owned™ housewares design company based in St. Paul, Minnesota.
In 1990, our founder and CEO, Devee Joy McNally, set off on a mission to bring ultimate peace and well-being to countless homes with the world’s first Junk Drawer Organizer®. Thirty years later, this journey has led her down a road of endless possibilities with, now, over 1,000 life-changing household products on the market. With a grateful heart, Devee is proud to have a passion-oriented team who has shared her common vision of delivering organized harmony to the spaces people love.
Every day, madesmart strives to instill heart and soul into the home organization category. With innovative designs, we create stylish and functional products that turn organizing into a rewarding experience. Our commitment to thorough research, testing, and development has formed invaluable trust in every home. At madesmart, we take pride in what we do.
Visit our website at www.madesmart.com to discover more about our team and mission.
- Contribute daily to the “we are a team” environment.
- Mentor others as needed or requested.
- Openly share information with other team members.
- Help to create a clean, safe and professional work environment. Note: We are working in the office and using recommended health practices during the pandemic.
- Actively participate in staff and other meetings as needed.
- Training for this position will occur on site. A hybrid work-from-home + in-the-office scenario may be available thereafter.
How to Apply
Submit your portfolio link or pdf that demonstrates critical thinking, resume, cover letter, and three references (with email and phone) to search manager Heather Olson at email@example.com.
The letter should demonstrate your reason for applying for this position, mention your experience with design related to technical manufacturing details, give an example of how you’ve surpassed a roadblock or unexpected outcome, and indicate what interests you about home organization products.
Label your email “Product and Packaging Engineer, madesmart®” in the subject line. The anticipated salary for this position is $60K.
If selected to participate in this process, candidates can expect a multi-step opportunity that may include meeting the Design Director who is the supervisor, then a fellow Industrial Designer and an Engineer, and possibly the CEO. A brief spec assignment may be requested to demonstrate examples of your approach to a typical project.
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!