We Are Hiring!
Since the invention of the Original Junk Drawer Organizer® in 1990, madesmart® has elevated home organization through thoughtful, award-winning design innovation. As the Product and Packaging Engineer — an essential contributor to the expansion and improvement of our design and development processes — we invite you to join our team of innovators and creatives in our mission to revolutionize the home organization experience. Engineer and package new, ground-breaking solutions that embody our design criteria of style, quality, function, and affordability. Serve as subject matter expert for assigned products and their manufacturing methods.
- Consult with sales, operations, designers, and factory engineers to determine costs and feasibility of producing proposed products, ensuring the final product meets all requirements.
- Contribute to the expansion and improvement of the design and prototyping processes by researching new materials and manufacturing processes, etc.
- Execute multiple projects to completion with full documentation, material specs, and finished product specs using proper file naming conventions.
- Continuously improve the internal process by working with various teams to troubleshoot issues, maintain quality, and optimize material performance and efficiencies.
- Work closely with design and operations teams to take ideas from concept through to final production.
- Give input in early phases of quoting and concept development.
- Create functioning prototypes to test and evaluate concepts.
- Create final production drawings.
- Conduct quality checks on first article samples.
- Work with operations and factories to ensure specs are followed and parts are made to meet quality standards.
- Develop products that:
- are manufacturable.
- meet deadlines.
- meet product specs.
- meet target production costs.
- can be produced quickly and economically.
- Keep supplies stocked for 3d printer/prototyping, ensuring maintenance steps are completed and printers are kept in an operational condition.
- Work closely with sales and manufacturing partners to create in-store merchandising solutions.
- Create, quote, and test dielines for product, collaborating with product and graphics team on merchandising options and brand needs.
- Create and maintain processes that allow for accurate, fast quoting and information capture for In Store Merchandising projects.
- Collaborate with manufacturing partners and internal teams throughout development and testing to ensure projects meet structural, functional, and print quality needs.
- Research and implement new process improvements for the team.
Skills and Requirements
- Creative problem solver with deep spatial awareness
- Expert knowledge of SolidWorks for product design and development, and Artios CAD for packaging engineering
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at a fast pace
- Familiar with material properties, assembly techniques and mass production manufacturing methods, specifically plastics for injection molding
- Associates or Bachelors degree in Product Development, Industrial Design, Engineering, or related field
- 3-5 years of experience, preferably in consumer goods
- Injection molding and plastics knowledge and experience with POP corrugate preferred (at least at an introductory level)
- Flexible and highly collaborative, sharing ideas and taking feedback equally well in a fast-paced environment
- Creative and enthusiastic about your work and your team, using your technical know-how to elevate the group’s output
- Detail-focused, self-starter who can balance multiple high priority deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills — critical to superseding language barriers and manufacturing lingo
- Contribute daily to the “we are a team” environment.
- Mentor others as needed or requested.
- Openly share information with other team members.
- Help to create a clean, safe and professional work environment. Note: We are working in the office and using recommended health practices during the pandemic.
- Actively participate in staff and other meetings as needed.
- Training for this position will occur on site. A hybrid work-from-home + in-the-office scenario may be available thereafter.
How to Apply
Submit your portfolio link or pdf that demonstrates critical thinking, resume, cover letter*, and three references (with email and phone) to our search manager Heather Olson at email@example.com. Label your email “Your Name > Product and Packaging Engineer, Madesmart” in the subject line.
*The letter should…
- demonstrate your reason for applying for this position
- mention your experience with design related to technical manufacturing details
- give an example of how you’ve surpassed a roadblock or unexpected outcome
- indicate what interests you about home organization products
If selected to participate in this process, candidates can expect a multi-step opportunity that may include meeting the Design Director who is the supervisor, then a fellow Industrial Designer and an Engineer, and possibly the CEO. A brief spec assignment may be requested to demonstrate examples of your approach to a typical project.
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!