We are hiring!
Since the invention of the Original Junk Drawer Organizer® in 1990, Madesmart® has elevated home organization through thoughtful, award-winning design innovation. If you are a driven, endlessly curious, tenacious Product Designer with a great eye, we invite you to join our team of innovators and creatives in our mission to revolutionize the home organization experience. Invent and design new, ground-breaking solutions that embody our design criteria of style, quality, function, and affordability.
- Collaborate with Design Director, design team, sales, engineering, and operations, to quickly feed a continuous flow of new product ideas and help establish initiatives and opportunities.
- Act as a resource and provide guidance for fellow team members to help projects move along, understanding the parameters that make a successful Madesmart product.
- Combine market research, Madesmart direction, and category goals with basic engineering and plastics knowledge to identify gaps and new category opportunities to lead impactful product designs that fit the Madesmart look and feel.
- Actively seek out improvement of overall team functionality, working together to identify and implement ideas for process and project improvements.
- Strategize around and support design-related sales needs with presentation/marketing deliverables, new concepts, prototypes, and renders.
- Perform research to continually seek out new trend, retail, and home organization knowledge to generate concepts that meet needs of Madesmart strategy and our retail partners.
- Utilize findings to identify gaps and opportunities for Madesmart within existing and new categories, working collaboratively with Design Director to develop design briefs and create annual plans and goals.
- Provide and lead a continuous flow of product ideas and concept improvements based on Madesmart established product gaps, strategies, and client requests.
- Generate lots of concepts quickly during early phases, working with team members to share ideas and get feedback.
- Iterate swiftly during preliminary design phase using sketches, brainstorming sessions, and rough prototypes to test and validate early ideas, including initial quotes to establish price parameters.
- Instigate critiques and concept discussions as needed with design, engineering, graphics, and marketing teams, and take active steps to test and qualify feedback.
- Initiate testing and research phases on items in development as needed, including surveys, store visits, market research, and user testing.
- Ensure concepts that move forward are high quality and meet functional, aesthetic, and financial goals.
- Perform and document user research and testing on concepts to ensure they meet functionality requirements.
- Participate throughout development process on designs, following them from initial concept through to final, produced part.
- Develop products that:
- are manufacturable
- meet deadlines
- meet product specs
- meet target production costs
- can be produced quickly and economically
- Collaborate to plan and execute sales deliverables as requested, including presentation support, planograms, special research requests, renders, mock packaging, and prototypes.
- Actively collaborate and keep communication open between Graphics and Marketing teams throughout development, providing product expertise and support on any packaging or marketing needs.
- Contribute daily to the “we are a team” environment.
- Mentor others as needed or requested.
- Openly share information with other team members.
- Help to create a clean, safe, and professional work environment.
- Actively participate in staff and other meetings as needed.
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as apparent or assigned.
- 3-5 years of experience in industrial design or product design, preferably in consumer product goods
- Proactive, strong verbal communication
- Excellent writing skills
- Willingness to receive feedback and collaborate to come to solutions
- Knowledge of design software – Solidworks (3d modeling required), Photoshop, Illustrator
- Strong analytical, organization, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work effectively within a team and independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to follow through with the entire process, from initial concept through final, production-ready files
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes, specifically injection molding
- Ability to efficiently multi-task and prioritize to meet deadlines
- 3d printing knowledge and basic shop experience a plus
Job Type and Location
Full-time on site in our Saint Paul, MN headquarters
4-year degree in industrial design, product design, or equivalent
How to Apply
Submit your portfolio link or pdf that demonstrates critical thinking, resume, cover letter*, and three references (with email and phone) to our search manager at email@example.com. Label your email “Your Name > Product Designer, Madesmart” in the subject line. Please confirm that the anticipated salary for this position — $50-60K per your experience — is acceptable.
*The letter should demonstrate your reason for applying for this position, mention your experience with design related to consumer goods, give an example of how you’ve surpassed a roadblock or unexpected outcome, and indicate what interests you about home organization products.
If selected to participate following response from our search manager, candidates can expect a multi-step interview process that may include meeting the Design Director supervisor and a Product Designer colleague, a couple of the Product Engineers, and possibly the CEO. A brief spec assignment may be requested to demonstrate examples of your approach to a typical project.
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!